Workshops & Keynote Presentations
Helen Osborne speaks to audiences across the U.S. and around the world. She gives keynote presentations and skills-building workshops on a wide variety of health literacy topics. Helen also offers a dynamic new feature called "Onstage Conversations" -- onstage interviews with health literacy champions from your organization or association.
Helen's presentations are always interactive, energizing, and filled with practical how-to information. Helen is a long-time member of the National Speakers Association and a board member of its New England Chapter.
Audiences everywhere agree that Helen's presentations give them the knowledge, tools, and confidence to make a long-lasting health literacy difference. For a schedule of Helen's upcoming and recent presentations, click here.
Click these links to learn more about Helen's most requested topics:
- Health Literacy: What It Is, Why It Matters, How You Can Help
- Plain Language: Assessing Readability & Writing for Understanding
- Making Numbers Make Sense: Ways to Clearly Convey Quantity, Time, and Risk
- Using Pictographs, Metaphors, and Stories to Communicate Health Messages
- Teach-back and Feedback: How to Confirm Understanding
- The Ethics of Simplicity
- How to ... (your topic here)
- Ways to Talk with Your Doctor (consumer presentation)
- Tailor presentations to your format. Whether you are looking for a 1-hour keynote, half- or full-day workshop, panel presentation, or round-table discussion, Helen will adapt her presentation to meet your needs. Groups often combine formats such as a keynote followed by a workshop, or a workshop followed by a round-table discussion.
- Focus on your specific needs. Helen takes the time to learn about you and your organization. This way, she can tailor presentations to meet your specific learning needs. Helen does this by asking groups to complete a Pre-Program Questionnaire (PPQ) and then talking with 2 - 3 people likely to attend.
- Provide a master copy of her handout. Helen's handouts are much more than just a collection of slides. Her handouts are filled with valuable information that participants can, and do, refer to long after Helen's presentations end.
- Offer, or help arrange for, discounts when purchasing multiple copies of her books: Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message; Health Literacy Handbook: The Event Planning Guide for Health Literacy Advocates; Podcasting Guide: A Little About Technology, A Lot About Getting Started With Audio Interviews.
- Work with you to obtain continuing education credits. This includes providing a timed agenda with specific behavioral objectives, along with Helen's CV.
- Help promote your event. Helen will gladly review your marketing materials and be available for radio and television interviews.
- Follow-up and offer ongoing support. Helen not only introduces ideas and skills but also helps participants implement what they learned. One way she does this is with a a complementary follow-up conference call for workshop attendees.
Andrea Vidrine, Social Worker; DCI Opelousas; Opelousas, LA
To learn more and schedule a presentation, contact Helen Osborne at Helen@healthliteracy.com or call 508-653-1199.